Thursday 21 April 2016

John Harrison Workshop

We had a new demonstrator to the club this last week.

John Harrison who is a very successful artist and has a great website.

The "about me" section on his website is this ...



Doodles. Scribbles. Sketches. Napkins……yes, I use all of these, and more, to get and develop ideas (and sometimes the finished work).

Hello – my name’s John – John Harrison – Yorkshire born and bred, and proud of it. My home county, especially the wonderful town and villages along its East coast, is the inspiration for much of my recent work, seen and drawn with a different view of familiar places.

Rupert the Bear, the Eagle, Dandy & Beano, Superman, Batman…

the way out of the woods

These, and many more, were early influences…in fact, the very first time I read a Rupert Bear story, I just knew I wanted to draw (and be in)those wonderful scenes of an idyllic world. 

The pen and ink style of all this childhood reading influenced me to a greater extent than I realised – after trying out most other media,I have come full circle and for the last few years have worked almost exclusively in a line and wash style. It feels the most natural thing in the world to me, and I hope that feeling comes through in my work.

I’ve been involved in creative endeavours of one form or another
for most of my adult life: I had a long period where I earned my living as a professional drummer, and sketched and drew constantly: sadly, I no longer have those sketchbooks, which I’m sure, contained many illustrations I’d be proud to show.

A graphic designer with a real passion for typography, I love using ink and watercolour wash, with buildings, townscapes and coastal scenes my favourite subject matter.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 So he gave a demonstration of his style and apart from a technical issue it went very very well.

Here's a few photos.








More photos appearing soon.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add comments to any posts and or email enquiries to karlsimpson1285@btinternet.com